This mod is the brainchild of Chris Jones (aka Gonzodad on the RSC) and the Yamaha designers/engineers who thought that it was acceptable to jack your bike up to adjust the pre-load before you head out with your passenger. I guess they don’t ride Road Stars. Thank you Chris for not accepting this and introducing the Road Star Clinic to one of the best mods for our bikes!
Before you begin, read through the articles and digest them, understand them, contemplate them. This makes you much more able to do this without surprises later.
- GoldWing shock with pump and hose (Ebay, junk yards, etc)
- Wiring harness from Gonzodad for pump operation
- Or Remote Adjustable Preload (RAP) for manual operations (Ebay)
- Two – Flange bushing 18mm ID x 22mm OD x 18mm long (from McMaster-Carr, SKU #6659K36)
- Two – washers (I used M14 metric flat washer from True Value),
- Or 10-pack of stainless steel shims from McMaster-Carr
- 5w-10w hydraulic fluid or fork oil
- Misc zip ties